November 16, 2011

Card Tricks from Master Grifts

11/16/11

Across calm waters,
A stagnant public pond --
Our eyes met, and rejected.
We should have known we'd be all wrong.

You got your tarot read,
Every Wednesday, at 3.
You'd barely get out of bed,
Only knowing you'd someday find me.

Dear penile protegé:
If you promise to try,
I won't pin you down
With complaints, and rye.

Was it love, our first sight?
Did we feel that tingle,
That shiver in the night?
Did I make you feel 'awwwwwright'?

Did you find me, all alone?
Weren't we surrounded by college kids?
I knew you'd have the power of bone;
I just never knew if I could get rid –

You took biology, because your dad
Didn't want you inheriting money for nothing;
You gave it all you had,
But those trilobites and cellular divides were crushing.

I took what I pleased;
Who heeds money, when parents finance us?
The focus of a major was just a tease;
Who needs a degree, when you're hip, like us?

Did you find me, across that fake pond,
The fermenting pennies distracting your gaze?
Was it in your interest to cross that pond?
Did you know we'd make for a passionate craze?

Did I know that you'd be the one,
The one that made things lofty?
If I'd known then, we'd never have done
All that fumbling in the display for Lara Croft.

I remember those touches, then --
Before touching my nads became a chore.
You were sweet, back then;
Still a socially retarded bore.

Do you recall our stupid love letters?
I kept all of them;
I know you burned my letters;
I want to remember your face, while I can.

I invoke your ire now,
You invoke my attraction to Jack Daniel's.
Your ire doesn't make me cowtow;
It doesn't make me seek Peter, nor Nathaniel.

Have I found you?
Are you more than a 2D megabitch?
I remember still, that quiet coo:
“Some day, we'll be rich!”

Across those murky waves,
You came to my side –
You solved my craves,
But only lived to deride.

You sat by me, a little minx;
You chose me, a quiet college boy.
You knew I had no experience, me thinks.
I thought you could bring me joy.

Did we know, Janette?
Did you feel our end coming,
Did you can it,
Knowing I'd be doing the running?

We sat, two younglings in the sun.
Everything is picturesque in that memory.
I don't see how we'll fight til we've won,
No, not in this particular memory.